Monday, 21 November 2016

Critical reflection on developing communication skills.

In just a couple of weeks’ time, the first trimester of university will come to an end. As much as I was procrastinating for this module to be over, I appreciate its intention as it forces me to sharpen my writing and oral skills. What makes the learning process less tedious is the setting; it is conducted in an interactive and thought provoking manner where everyone is open to ideas and criticism. I am really grateful that my tutor, Brad and my fellow tutorial classmates were able to make this learning journey a pleasant one.

The takeaway I have from this module is beyond mere “education”. As humans, it is in our nature to communicate with one another; however “communicating” alone is not sufficient. It is even more essential to communicate in an effective manner in which others are able to understand the message I am trying to convey. Having said so, this effectiveness cannot be achieved if it is only one-sided as to how we need both hands to form a clap.

Through assignments such as writing a reader response of an article, which one may seem like a simple task, is actually quite a handful to handle. My peers and tutor spent precious time giving valuable feedback for me to reflect and it is only right for me to be constantly reviewing and improving on my work. Not forgetting my technical report group mates, Kevin and Danish for being so co-operative in “getting things done” and distributing the workload. From brainstorming of the problem statement, crafting and editing the report to finally submission of the report.

I can already anticipate there will be more report writing in the remaining course of studies. Whatever I’ve learnt in this module can definitely be put into good use. And with practice, I can further develop my writing skills to be more concise and coherent.

No comments:

Post a Comment